Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Close Call

My mom has not been doing well this Christmas. She took a fall on Friday the 23rd and she hasn't walked since. Pat has ministered to her and I've been much less useful. The hospice care workers have stepped up their visits but we probably have days to weeks now rather than months. It is a time in which mortality and the importance of not wasting my life has been pretty clearly before me.

Vultures are often thought of as a symbol of death in our culture. Once I was riding to Albany and when I rounded a bend on a back road I noticed some movement on the side of the road. As I approached I saw a flock of vultures on a dead animal. The vultures really didn't have much time to get into the air as I was coming up and then I noticed that the trees were hanging over the side of the road. So the birds had to use the road to take off. They wanted my lane and I started moving farther and farther into the other lane. Pretty soon it was apparent they wanted both lanes for their little runway and we had a problem. It did flash through my mind that being killed by running into a vulture would be a pretty unfortunate way to go into heaven. I've got friends who would never (literally) let me forget that. Even worse, if it didn't kill me I would probably smell so bad I would wish I was dead. I picked what looked like the best path through the flock and then as I approached the ugly end of a really ugly bird I ducked. Suddenly I was through and I looked in the rear view mirror. The vulture was sitting in the middle of the road. I had sucked the air right out from under him and smacked him down in the road.

We naturally draw back from death. It isn't any more attractive than a vultures rear end. But remember 1 Corinthians 15:53-58

For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality. When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written:

“Death is swallowed up in victory.”

“O death, where is your victory?

O death, where is your sting?”

The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.

We may find ourselves suddenly before God someday or God may require great courage in our last days but in either case we will see death in the rear view mirror sitting helpless in the middle of the road.

Have a great New Years and I hope to see you on Sunday.


No comments: