Monday, April 03, 2006

Moral and Ritual Law

As we navigate our hearts between the errors of antinomianism and legalism think about the following. When we give ourselves to antinomianism we grieve the Holy Spirit by our sinful behavior because we reject the moral demands that God makes on our behavior. On the other hand, if we pursue legalism we take a sinful pleasure in our conformity to a particular set of behaviors that may or not have a biblical basis.

Antinomians often have lives that are in Spiritual disarray and hard to distinguish from someone who is unregenerate. On the other hand, someone who is legalistic will frequently display an “enforcement mentality”. They have their rules and everyone must obey them to be righteous. The legalist can have a surface veneer of a homemade righteousness but it is an offense to God.

Neither an antinomian nor a legalist is necessarily regenerate or unregenerate. God will deal with His children and it is our own hearts we need to offer up for examination by God. Pray this prayer from Psalm 139:23-24, “Search me, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there be any grievous way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting!”

Before the face of God we must answer in our heart and lives about how we live with regard to the ritual law and moral law. As we study the book of Galatians we find Paul in a fight with those who insist on obedience to the ritual law. They were legalists who demonstrated that enforcement mentality (Galatians 2:4). If you want to see Paul fighting against antinomians then you can read the epistles to the Corinthians.

For years I’ve thought of the difference of the moral and ritual law. When I’ve taught on the subject I’ve often said that the ritual law was ended (Romans 10:4) but that we are still bound by the moral law (Romans 6:1-3). However, I think I’ve got an understanding that is more consistent with scripture. We are not really “bound” by the moral law. In fact, our obedience to the moral law is a natural outgrowth of the Spirit working and living within us. Rather than bound, I am free to express the work of the Holy Spirit in my life. The Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in me, and He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead gives life to my body through His Spirit who dwells in me. I’m no longer a debtor to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. I’m subjecting myself to the Spirit to put sin to death. Since I’m led by the Spirit of God I am a son of God. I did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear. I’m not in bondage, however, I have received the Spirit of adoption as a son and I cry “Abba! Father!” (Romans 8:11-15).

No comments: