Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Prophecy of Isaiah – Lesson 36

We begin with a look at the relationship God declares between Himself and His people. We are His people. Again, He is the author and finisher of our faith.


 

But now thus says the Lord, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. For I am the Lord your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. I give Egypt as your ransom, Cush and Seba in exchange for you.

Isaiah 43:1-3


 

I don't think it ever hit me before that God's promise here is for protection in the midst of judgment on a disobedient people. This is one of those verses that you put up on your wall or on a coffee cup and keep it traditionally out of context. It does tell us that because God has claimed us as a possession we will survive God's anger at our sin. World powers of the day were distracted from the relatively small and split Southern and Northern Kingdoms. Egypt was beautiful but God used them as a distraction to kingdoms like Assyria while He worked out salvation by keeping a people for Himself in Judah and Israel.


 

Because you are precious in my eyes, and honored, and I love you, I give men in return for you, peoples in exchange for your life. Fear not, for I am with you; I will bring your offspring from the east, and from the west I will gather you. I will say to the north, Give up, and to the south, Do not withhold; bring my sons from afar and my daughters from the end of the earth, everyone who is called by my name, whom I created for my glory, whom I formed and made."

Isaiah 43:4-7


 

This verse hints at the atonement when it uses the illustration of giving "men in return for you" and "peoples in exchange for your life". The verse also foreshadows the work of God in the lives of so many that are not ethnically Israel but are never the less Abraham's offspring.


 

for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's offspring, heirs according to promise.

Galatians 3:26-29


 

We see the promise fulfilled in our lives and in the lives of those around the world as God brings every type of person into the Body of Christ. We are God's children, called by His name, and created anew for His glory by His strength.


 

In the next portion of Scripture God uses the "courtroom" style again. He has one body in court that are blind and deaf. The other party in the courtroom is international.


 

Bring out the people who are blind, yet have eyes, who are deaf, yet have ears! All the nations gather together, and the peoples assemble. Who among them can declare this, and show us the former things? Let them bring their witnesses to prove them right, and let them hear and say, It is true.

Isaiah 43:8-9


 

Those who are blind and deaf (but shouldn't be) are called as witnesses. There is a failure of those to whom God has revealed Himself. They don't understand and bear witness to His works and wisdom. So God must develop His own witnesses.


 

"You are my witnesses," declares the Lord, "and my servant whom I have chosen, that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he. Before me no god was formed, nor shall there be any after me. I, I am the Lord, and besides me there is no savior.

Isaiah 43:10-11


 

God says to the blind and deaf that they are His witnesses. They are not effective witnesses but they should serve in that role. They were God's witness and servant by His choosing and their purpose was to know God, believe God, and understand what He revealed about Himself as God. But even with eyes and ears they don't fulfill their mission. Jesus quotes Isaiah 6:9-10 in Matthew 13:14-15 using these same comparisons for the religious people of His day. There is a spiritual blindness that we must work to avoid. God will bless but to sit and stagnate while surrounded by His Word is a tragic condition. It is the condition of many religious people.


 

God must be His own witness and He begins by stating that He is unique. He is the only God that ever was or ever will be.


 

I declared and saved and proclaimed, when there was no strange god among you; and you are my witnesses," declares the Lord, "and I am God. Also henceforth I am he; there is none who can deliver from my hand; I work, and who can turn it back?"

Isaiah 43:12-13


 

God continues by stressing that He chose them and acted to save. He declares His omnipotence in declaration (foretelling) and making prophecy known. He declares His eternal character in "henceforth I am he) and He declares His omnipotence as well since no one can turn back God when He works.


 

Thus says the Lord, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: "For your sake I send to Babylon and bring them all down as fugitives, even the Chaldeans, in the ships in which they rejoice. I am the Lord, your Holy One, the Creator of Israel, your King."

Isaiah 43:14-15


 

Think through these verses with Egypt and the Exodus in mind. God promises that there will be an end to the Babylonian captivity. He says that they will be brought down because He is the Lord, He is the Holy One, He created Israel, and He is their King. These verses are bracketed by the use of "Holy One" as a name for God. His purposes in the Babylonian captivity are to punish sin and purify a people for Himself. The captivity isn't just a random event. It is an event with purpose.


 

God will put an end to the captivity.


 

Thus says the Lord, who makes a way in the sea, a path in the mighty waters, who brings forth chariot and horse, army and warrior; they lie down, they cannot rise, they are extinguished, quenched like a wick:

Isaiah 43:16-17


 

Here is a two verse summary of the Exodus. God will make a path in mighty waters and then extinguished an army opposed to the people of God. This a promise of God's redemption from the Babylonians.


 

"Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. The wild beasts will honor me, the jackals and the ostriches, for I give water in the wilderness, rivers in the desert, to give drink to my chosen people, the people whom I formed for myself that they might declare my praise.

Isaiah 43:18-21


 

These verses look forward in time to the "new thing" God will do as He redeems creation in the end times with a people that He has formed for Himself. Creation itself waits for God to finish His work of redemption so all of Creation can benefit. We sometimes forget that God will redeem the created world and not just make a heaven somewhere else (Romans 8:19-21).


 

No comments: