Sunday, October 02, 2005

WAH - Chapter 4

I really appreciate interacting with you guys in class and thanks for the privilege of teaching.

We discussed original sin briefly this morning but it does come up again in Chapter 4 of Wild at Heart.  Original sin is much more complex than what Eldredge describes as “every man comes into the world set up for a loss of heart.”  Even Bob Dylan got it right when he wrote a song called “Saved” and said “I was blinded by the devil; Born already ruined; Stone-cold dead; As I stepped out of the womb; By His grace I have been touched; By His word I have been healed; By His hand I have been delivered; By His spirit I Have been sealed.”  We were born sinners and spiritually dead.  We bless God that He touches us, heals us, delivers us, and seals us as His.

I’m going to try to find some time to read and meditate on the relationship of Jonathan and David (1 Samuel 13 to 2 Samuel 1).  Eldredge correctly points out that men rarely offer direct complements or praise each other directly.  I struck me that Jonathan and David didn’t seem to suffer from that “affliction”.  What do you think God would say about that characteristic in us?

I think the relationship of Jonathan and David may set a Godly example for us.

1 comment:

DSF said...

Discussion Notes for Chapter 4 – The Wound

Page 60 – Original sin is more complex than “every man comes into the world set up for a loss of heart.” Bob Dylan got it right when he wrote a song called “Saved” You know Dylan may have some problems but at least he heard and understood.

Bob Dylan - "Saved"
I was blinded by the devil
Born already ruined
Stone-cold dead
As I stepped out of the womb
By His grace I have been touched
By His word I have been healed
By His hand I have been delivered
By His spirit I Have been sealed.

You were born corrupt. So were you parents. We can be seriously and deeply wounded. Fallen parents raising fallen kids is not a recipe for happiness life without sorrow.

Page 61 – Men may rarely praise each other directly … but I’d say David and Jonathon make a wonderful picture of how love between men should be. Fear of what others will think shouldn’t affect the fellowship we know.

Page 62 – There is a peace that is the fruit of the Holy Spirit that transcends what my dad could give or take away. Because of the weakness of our parents and especially fathers, we will likely need to allow the Holy Spirit to heal us. Masculinity is bestowed by God. I loved my dad but … only God is Lord. I can’t give my dad something that belongs to God. I loved my dad and what he thought of me matters but I stand or fall before my Lord.

Page 63 – Gods voice was for those surrounding Jesus. Jesus was fully God and fully man. Two complete natures. Of course Jesus didn’t need anything. We are the ones with needs and those needs stem from our fallen natures.

Page 63 to 66 – Well you know you do need to grow up. We can’t be afraid of what our mothers call us. Once again, Jesus is Lord not my mom.

Page 67 – We do test each other against our dads but we need to avoid bondage that God has freed us from.

Page 68 – We can submit to the bondage of the world. “Whatever the mother’s failure, it can be overcome by the father’s engagement”. Well no. God gave us two parents and only He can heal us. I don’t want to belittle the wounds but I don’t live in bondage to my parents failures. God is the perfect (complete) parent.

In New Guinea – there is a tribe in which the men are so scared of the effects of women in their lives that they live apart from them. As if they will catch something from them. To relieve the negative impact of being breastfed they cut themselves and attempt to bleed out the feminine influence. Well that is sick. It is wrong headed. It is contrary to what God has given us in women. Eldredge doesn’t go as far as the New Guinea tribesmen but I think you can see it from where he is standing.

Page 69 to 75 – Eldredge offers the following quote “Becoming a Christian doesn’t necessarily fix things. My arrows were still lodged deep and refused to allow some angry wounds inside to heal.” God begins to make all things new; but the manifestation of our being set aside and made holy by God (sanctification) isn’t instant and takes time. If you have an angry wound then God can heal it. Don’t go around with a little worldly Band-Aid. If we are going to break out from old wounds then it requires an act of God not my mom or dad. I’m not in submission to them any more. I’m seeking to be who God my Father says I am in the power of the Holy Spirit.