Friday, July 06, 2012

Acts - Lesson 37

I will pick up in Acts 25 but since I’ve had a break it will help me to sort of go over the big picture of what is going on as we start to study the events in these chapters. Remember that Paul was warned in various and numerous prophecies not to go to Jerusalem. Paul insisted on returning to Jerusalem. Some people think this was an error on Paul’s part. I think that is debatable. Paul returned to Jerusalem informed that things would not go well between him and the rulers. He had to anticipate trouble from the Romans because the prophecies indicated that he would be bound and imprisoned.

It is possible that the Holy Spirit had impressed on Paul the necessity to go to Jerusalem for some reason in spite of the trouble that awaited him. It is the Apostle Paul and I think it is best to take him at his word for that aspect of his actions.
Acts 20:22-23 … And now, behold, I am going to Jerusalem, constrained by the Spirit, not knowing what will happen to me there, except that the Holy Spirit testifies to me in every city that imprisonment and afflictions await me.
There was at least a difference of opinion with regard to God’s will for Paul. Eventually, as Paul persisted, the Church trusted in God’s sovereignty and left Paul in God’s hands. Paul makes a very bold statement but we don’t see Paul moving in that direction and, more importantly, the Holy Spirit doesn’t move Paul in that direction.
Acts 21:10-14 … While we were staying for many days, a prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. And coming to us, he took Paul’s belt and bound his own feet and hands and said, “Thus says the Holy Spirit, ‘This is how the Jews at Jerusalem will bind the man who owns this belt and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.’ ” When we heard this, we and the people there urged him not to go up to Jerusalem. Then Paul answered, “What are you doing, weeping and breaking my heart? For I am ready not only to be imprisoned but even to die in Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.” And since he would not be persuaded, we ceased and said, “Let the will of the Lord be done.”
In spite of Paul’s statement here he seems to have an “Apostle Peter” moment that starts when he meets with the Jerusalem Church leadership. Keep in mind that Paul was finally home after years on the mission field and when he is told by the leadership that he has a public relations problem then Paul buckles and this spiritual giant makes a huge mistake by agreeing to participate in animal sacrifice.
Acts 21:26 … Then Paul took the men, and the next day he purified himself along with them and went into the temple, giving notice when the days of purification would be fulfilled and the offering presented for each one of them.
So it is disturbing enough that the Christians in Jerusalem were still worshiping this way after the Cross and in the light of the Cross but God would not let the author of our epistles to the Romans, Galatians, and Ephesians do such a thing. When Paul tries then a riot occurs.
Acts 21:27-28 … When the seven days were almost completed, the Jews from Asia, seeing him in the temple, stirred up the whole crowd and laid hands on him, crying out, “Men of Israel, help! This is the man who is teaching everyone everywhere against the people and the law and this place. Moreover, he even brought Greeks into the temple and has defiled this holy place.”
Paul does find himself in prison but not for the name of the Lord Jesus except indirectly because of his preaching in Asia and not in Jerusalem. The Jerusalem Christians in particular were having a difficult time with the finished work of Christ. They were people just like we are and tradition was a hard thing for them to separate from. Often, tradition is neutral or adiaphorous without any moral implications but the sacrificial system of the Old Testament was in place to point to Christ and it had no place in worship after the Cross. In fact, in AD 70 just 30 years or so from this point the temple would be cast down and every stone removed because as Christ said, destroy this Temple and in three days I will raise it up (John 2:19). The real temple had come and now the shadow was finished. God graciously delivered Paul from performing the animal sacrifice in spite of his intention to do so.
Paul gave part of his testimony this time in Jerusalem to unsaved Jews and a few Gentiles and he was able to once again share with the Jerusalem Church leadership what God was doing in the Gentile world. However, he was able to share more extensively at the first Church Council in Jerusalem (Acts 15). This had to be a fairly discouraging time for Paul and the Lord reassured him that things were still in control.  
Acts 23:11 … The following night the Lord stood by him and said, “Take courage, for as you have testified to the facts about me in Jerusalem, so you must testify also in Rome.”
Over all, Paul had it right; first go to Jerusalem and then go to Rome. Paul didn’t have the details figured out but being a martyr in Jerusalem was not the plan. Felix in Acts 24 was not making decisions. In fact he was hoping for a nice bribe (Acts 24:26). After a couple of years then Felix was replaced by Porcius Festus and Festus didn’t want to put off this decision. Both Felix and Festus wanted to please the Jews because, as reasonable administrators, it is easier to rule a people who think you are on their side. Festus probably knew that a conspiracy existed to kill Paul. Festus may have even looked at it as a way to get rid of the “Paul” problem early in his administration. Paul knew that it was the Jewish intention that he would not survive a change of venue to Jerusalem. Even more importantly, he had the Lord’s words to him that he would testify in Rome. So Paul gives Festus a different way out of his political problem.
Acts 25:9-12 … But Festus, wishing to do the Jews a favor, said to Paul, “Do you wish to go up to Jerusalem and there be tried on these charges before me?” But Paul said, “I am standing before Caesar’s tribunal, where I ought to be tried. To the Jews I have done no wrong, as you yourself know very well. If then I am a wrongdoer and have committed anything for which I deserve to die, I do not seek to escape death. But if there is nothing to their charges against me, no one can give me up to them. I appeal to Caesar.” Then Festus, when he had conferred with his council, answered, “To Caesar you have appealed; to Caesar you shall go.”
Festus had the problem out of his hair either dead or alive so sending Paul away was an acceptable option to him. As Boice points out in his commentary, three things were key for Paul in standing up to this attack.
First, he knew that God was sovereign over all the details of his life. Even after a mistake, God was sovereign and had told him so in His revelation that he would be going to Rome.
Secondly, Paul had tremendous portions of Scripture in memory and he could stand on the word of God in these times. Situations are rarely black and white. I’m not saying we grab one verse and hang on for a white knuckle ride. We need all of Scripture as Scripture interprets Scripture and God will reveal and lead as we seek Him with all of it. Once again it is the light to my path and lamp to my feet analogy. We need to see the long range and the immediate but the intermediate is often obscure in this fallen world. 
Thirdly, we need to be ready to pay any price necessary. This one is a particularly hard topic. Martyrdom is a real possibility for many in the world today. For us, it seems fairly alien or we think of it as an early Church thing. Daniel’s three friends had a, “bow down or die” option. They are a children’s Sunday School story that we love. Lots of people have died and Hebrews 11 makes it clear this was not a lack of faith on their part.
In writing The Gulag Archipelago, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn reflected on this topic. This was not an academic question for him. He said that in prison system of Russia some prisoners survived the interrogations and maintain their integrity and others collapsed under it and lost their identity entirely. He says that it had to do with whether or not one was willing to pay the price for one’s integrity. The price was to lay down your life. Solzhenitsyn said:
At the very threshold, you must say to yourself: “My life is over, a little early to be sure, but there’s nothing to be done about it. I shall never return to freedom. I am condemned to die—now or a little later. But later on, in truth, it will be even harder, and so the sooner the better. I no longer have any property whatsoever. For me those I love have died, and for them I have died. From today on, my body is useless and alien to me. Only my spirit and my conscience remain precious to me.”
Confronted by such a prisoner, the interrogation will tremble.
Only the man who has renounced everything can gain that victory.
Jesus gave up everything for us, and said, “If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me” (Luke 9:23). Jesus teaches that that we must be willing to die to self to be his followers. That is the victory of faith that overcomes the world. I’m not there and I stagger at the faith revealed in the lives of these early Christians. I have such a blessed life that it is hard for me to imagine the hardships they faced. On the other hand it is inspiring and makes me want to seek God’s direction on making the cross a part of my daily walk with God so that I’ll see how that makes abundant life possible. Now I see it through a dark mirror but someday I’ll see it clearly.
Next in Paul’s life he is able to give his testimony before Festus, Herod Agrippa, and Bernice. This is a bit long but here is the explanation that Festus gives Agrippa on Paul looking for some expert advice.
Acts 25:13-21 … Now when some days had passed, Agrippa the king and Bernice arrived at Caesarea and greeted Festus. And as they stayed there many days, Festus laid Paul’s case before the king, saying, “There is a man left prisoner by Felix, and when I was at Jerusalem, the chief priests and the elders of the Jews laid out their case against him, asking for a sentence of condemnation against him. I answered them that it was not the custom of the Romans to give up anyone before the accused met the accusers face to face and had opportunity to make his defense concerning the charge laid against him. So when they came together here, I made no delay, but on the next day took my seat on the tribunal and ordered the man to be brought. When the accusers stood up, they brought no charge in his case of such evils as I supposed. Rather they had certain points of dispute with him about their own religion and about a certain Jesus, who was dead, but whom Paul asserted to be alive. Being at a loss how to investigate these questions, I asked whether he wanted to go to Jerusalem and be tried there regarding them. But when Paul had appealed to be kept in custody for the decision of the emperor, I ordered him to be held until I could send him to Caesar.”
Agrippa was the son of Herod Agrippa I and grandson of Herod the Great. His father was the one who had arrested Peter and killed James. He had some pretty bad ancestors but he was not as violent or as prone to atrocities as his father and grandfather. He was just living with his sister, Bernice, as his wife. His value to Festus was that he understood Paul and why the Jews were upset. That is why he got involved in his trial.
Acts 25:22-27 … Then Agrippa said to Festus, “I would like to hear the man myself.” “Tomorrow,” said he, “you will hear him.” So on the next day Agrippa and Bernice came with great pomp, and they entered the audience hall with the military tribunes and the prominent men of the city. Then, at the command of Festus, Paul was brought in. And Festus said, “King Agrippa and all who are present with us, you see this man about whom the whole Jewish people petitioned me, both in Jerusalem and here, shouting that he ought not to live any longer. But I found that he had done nothing deserving death. And as he himself appealed to the emperor, I decided to go ahead and send him. But I have nothing definite to write to my lord about him. Therefore I have brought him before you all, and especially before you, King Agrippa, so that, after we have examined him, I may have something to write. For it seems to me unreasonable, in sending a prisoner, not to indicate the charges against him.”
What a civil servant Festus is! He didn’t want to send Paul up to Rome without being able to fill out the entire form with the blank describing the charges. This was a major scene for Festus with Agrippa visiting. The word that Luke used for “pomp” is φαντασία (phantasia). The superficial appearance of importance was found in Festus, Agrippa, Bernice, and all the officials. The real importance was found in what Paul was going to share.
It can be hard to remember what is important and what is not because of the “phantasia” effect that we get so impressed with. Ideally, we use the “pomp” to indicate an underlying reality.
I like to wear a tie when I teach and I’ve generally worn a tuxedo for weddings. The form of dress at the wedding didn’t make the wedding significant. The formal dress is a result of the significance of the wedding.
Of course at the Marriage Supper of the Lamb then we’ll be clothed in His righteousness (Matthew 22:11-14).

No comments: